Guelphல் ஒரு அரிய சந்தர்ப்பம்! சாதாரணமாக பொது மக்களுக்கு கிடைக்காத சந்தர்ப்பம் வரும் 24ம் திகதி கிடைக்க இருக்கின்றது. ஆர்வமுள்ள Guelphல் உள்ளவர்களும், சுற்றுவட்டாரத்தில் உள்ளவர்களும் அன்றய நாளை இதற்க்காக ஒதுக்கிவைக்கலாம்!

Doors Open Guelph – Guelph’s Finest Buildings Open Their Doors For Free Public Tours

On Saturday, April 24, Guelph residents and visitors will have the opportunity to participate in the annual celebration of the City’s history and architectural heritage.  Between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., several of Guelph’s finest buildings, many of which are not normally open to the public, will open their doors for free public tours.  Guided tours will be available at each site, led by knowledgeable tour guides who will talk about the site’s history and important architectural features. Guides will also pass on some of the interesting stories associated with each site.

Hammond Radio Museum                                                       
595 Southgate Drive (off Laird Road)
washrooms, accessible, parking
 
Founded in 1982 by Fred Hammond, one of the founding members of Guelph’s Hammond Manufacturing, the Radio Museum houses an extensive collection of rare and historically significant pieces. 

The 2000+ items exhibited reveal the development of radio throughout the past 100 years.  Included are crystal radios, early tabletop and broadcast, early wireless, military and Amateur Radio equipment. 
 
Homewood House                                                                                         
19 Woodycrest Drive (off Waterloo Avenue)
street parking

This Italianate-style house was built c. 1855 by J.J. Kingsmill. His son, Charles Kingsmill, was the first director of the Canadian Navy which is celebrating its centennial in 2010. 

Purchased by the current owner in 1984, this house has been lovingly restored, retaining many original features such as the entrance tower, interior shutters, stained glass windows and fireplace. 
 
Wellington Brewery                                                         
950 Woodlawn Road West
washrooms, accessible, parking

The oldest independent microbrewery in Canada, Wellington Brewery was founded early in 1985.  Since then, it has grown steadily, winning local and national awards for its time-honoured, traditional beers produced in small batches, using all-natural ingredients, a lot of care and patience. 

The brewing facility and the Iron Duke House will be part of the Doors Open Guelph tour.

The Frank Hasenfratz Centre of Excellence in Manufacturing, Linamar Corporation
700 Woodlawn Road West
washrooms, accessible, parking

Opened in September 2009, this state-of-the art centre is the home of innovative product and process technology.

The focal point of learning and leadership development to create a knowledgeable collaborative community, the facility features many eco-friendly design elements such as an open concept atrium foyer, retractable skylights, extensive use of recycled materials, a reflective pond and dual living walls.
 
Ignatius Jesuit Centre                                                                      
5420 Highway 6 North
washrooms, parking
 
Arriving in Guelph in 1852, the Jesuits helped build Church of Our Lady and other local parishes before establishing a novitiate on this site in 1913. The original building, destroyed by fire in 1954, was replaced by what is now called Orchard Park Centre.

A retreat centre, organic farm, labyrinth, willow dome, stations of the cosmos and walking trails complete this bucolic 600-acre setting.
 
 

St. Philopateer Coptic Orthodox Church                                         
Located at Ignatius Jesuit Centre
5420 Highway 6 North
washrooms, parking
 
Originally Ignatius Great Hall in Orchard Park Centre, this space has been transformed by liturgical art into the home of St. Philopateer Coptic Orthodox Church. 

The Copts (or Egyptians) are defined as the modern sons of the Pharaohs.  Their religious background helped them to eagerly accept Christianity and enjoy its depth through their ascetic life, meditation and studying of Holy Scripture. 

 

 

 

Woodlawn Cemetery Lodge, Woodlawn Memorial Park
760 Woolwich Street
washrooms, parking
 
This 1883 Vernacular Gothic brick structure was built as the home of the Union (now Woodlawn) Cemetery keepers, and remains so to this day.

Guelph architect John Day’s design fee for the lodge, a stable, greenhouse and coach house (still in use) was $58.  Especially attractive are the original oval front doors, mouldings, trim, hand-turned banister and interior window engravings. 
 
Islamic Society of Guelph                                                                  
126 Norwich Street East
accessible, parking
 
This attractive small church of non-conformist design, incorporating classical features, was built in 1856-57 for a group of Scottish Congregationalists, and is the second oldest of Guelph’s remaining stone church buildings. 

In 1882, it was sold to the Disciples of Christ who occupied it until 2008 when it was purchased by the Islamic Society of Guelph and converted to a mosque. 
 
Canadian Pacific Caboose 436994                                                           
Located on siding close to St. George’s Church (enter off Woolwich Street)
street parking
 
Built in 1941, this wooden-body caboose served the Canadian Pacific Railway for more than 40 years.  For the past 15 years, it has been and continues to be beautifully restored by members of the Guelph Historical Railway Association.  The inside is now a railway museum on wheels, reflecting the glory days of railroading in the mid-20th century.
 
Trails Open: The Radial Line Trail and the Guelph Escarpment         
Hikes start at Eramosa River Park (Lawrence Avenue off York Road west of Victoria)
parking
 
The Radial Line Trail is one of Ontario’s first rails-to-trails projects, completed by the Guelph Hiking Trail Club in 1971 to link Guelph to the Niagara Escarpment. But Guelph has its own Escarpment within the City, with fossilized coral reefs towering over the Trail in places.  Walk the railbed of the legendary, electric Toronto Suburban Railway and visit the site of Speedwell Station. 
 
40-minute hikes every hour on the hour until 3 p.m.; more challenging 90-minute hikes at 10.30 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. Bring suitable shoes for walking and dress for the weather.

For more information about sites and tours and some tips on how best to plan and enjoy the day, pick up a Doors Open Guelph 2010 brochure at various locations around the City (e.g Visitor Information Centre, Guelph Public Library, Guelph Civic Museum) or visit the Doors Open Guelph website at www.guelpharts.ca/doorsopenguelph; or contact Guelph Arts Council by telephone at (519) 836-3280, or e-mail gac@sentex.net.

Once again, owners and managers of public buildings, churches, businesses and private homes have generously agreed to “open their doors” for guided tours. No registration is required, and it’s free!